The latest NBC/WSJ poll has some good news for Republicans. They are tied with Democrats in the Congressional generic ballot with each party currently at 44 percent. An equal number of Americans want the next election to result in a Republican controlled Congress as want it to result in a Democrat controlled one.

This is the first time in almost two years Republicans have finally closed the polling gap. Democrats have held at least a small lead over Republicans in NBC/WSJ polling since October of 2011.

This is especially good news for Republicans because they don’t even need to win more votes than the Democrats to make real gains in Congress next year. Because of gerrymandering in the House and a 2014 Senate map that heavily favors Republicans, the GOP has a massive built in advantage next year. As long as they simply remain close to Democrats they have a chance to pick up seats.

The one thing Republican do need to be concerned about is that they will receive most of the blame if immigration reform fails this term. The poll found 44 percent would blame Congressional Republicans if nothing happens, while only 14 percent would blame Congressional Democrats and 21 percent would blame President Obama. Combined, that is only 35 percent who would primarily blame members of the Democratic party.

Image by DonkeyHotey under Creative Commons license